Putting the Toothpaste Back in the Tube
Following the IBC Show I wanted to share with you some key things to look for when choosing an object storage layer.
The great news is that object storage is now an established archive technology choice with many organisations looking at how to modernise their legacy platforms to maximise the value of their archives.
There are a number of vendors out there offering thinly skinned open source solutions but relying on open source projects to support you precious content can be risky. There are also key things to be aware when choosing from companies for whom object storage is in their DNA.
Today object storage takes two forms. Erasure coding (splitting the data up) or replication (making copies of multiple instances). In the media or CCTV industries, where fast direct access is required to content, the former, Erasure coding, doesn’t always make sense.
If you need fast access to your large video files or you need to perform operations and services on that content you have to stitch it back together first. After you have shared out the toothpaste it’s hard to put it back in the tube! OK terrible analogy but you get my point!
So here are some of the ways that we at Object Matrix, pioneers of media focused hybrid cloud storage, object storage and digital content governance, differentiate from the crowd:
Fast and direct access to objects from your desktop
- MatrixStore: Yes. Using MXFS (MatrixStore File System). It is free and runs on Windows Mac and Linux.
- Erasure: No. Third party gateway and expense required.
Future Proof Access?
- MatrixStore: Yes. Data is accessible and readable via standard protocols and even outside of Object Matrix interfaces
- Erasure: Not always. Some force you to read with the protocol you wrote with. Some force you to restore from public cloud with their APIs. Pretty much vendor lock-in.
Able to process data where it lives?
- MatrixStore: Yes. PiP (Process in Place) does just that. Extract and index metadata, enable AI workflows and view it all in Vision without moving the data from the archive.
- Erasure: No. You got to put that toothpaste back in the tube first!
Ability to move content from primary storage, to nearline, archive, public or private cloud
- MatrixStore: Yes. We provide HSM workflows where the data belongs to you not the vendor.
- Erasure: No. Third party products and expense required.
The last differentiator lies in the focus of our company in that we only specialise on video and media workflows whilst other generalist suppliers chase every market going.
If you would like to know more about object storage technology please do get in touch or check out this very detailed blog post!
About Object Matrix
Object Matrix is an award winning UK based software company that pioneered Digital Content Governance (DCG), object storage and the modernisation of digital video workflows. Our media focused private and hybrid cloud solutions are tightly integrated into file based and IP workflows and bring economic and operational benefit to all of our customers. Our flagship product, MatrixStore, is used by the world’s largest organisations that create and distribute video content, including NBC, TV Globo, MSG-N, the BBC & BT.