Senior Technical Support Engineer
Object Matrix Limited – Cardiff CF10
£35,000 – £40,000 a year (depending on experience)
We are a leading software organisation looking for a Senior LINUX Support engineer to join our exciting and rapidly expanding company. This role would suit someone with a flexible working attitude and a strong interest in all facets of IT. Your role will be to help develop a stronger product, including making recommendations on better hardware and making LINUX installation configuration improvements. You will be responsible for activities for business-critical systems and you will need strong problem solving and debugging skills.
Object Matrix is the leading provider of digital content governance and object storage solutions to the media/entertainment industry. Customers include BBC, BT, TV Globo Brasil, NBC Universal to name a few. Based in Cardiff (UK) our offices are situated a minute walk from Cardiff Central train station making it an easy commute by train. Object Matrix was listed as the fastest growing Welsh Software companies in 2016 (Fast Growth 50 in 2016 (18th overall)).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement and support on site based scalable nearline storage solutions for high profile worldwide companies.
- Provide remote support and applications both remotely and on-site support for client servers and applications.
- Handling support related incidents observing SLAs.
- Work closely with clients to understand their mission and needs.
- Work on improving internal technical processes and internal systems.
- Participate in all aspects of the new projects implementation, server’s configurations, documentation, and deployment.
- Support Linux (Ubuntu) system administration.
- Understand planned operations and deployment activities, as well as preventive maintenance.
- Work customer facing flows (ITILv3 knowledge is a plus), 2nd and 3rd level customer support.
- Evaluate hardware (loading appropriate drivers & setting up hardware correctly).
- Three or more years proven LINUX experience.
- Strong experience in implementing and supporting complex Linux server infrastructure environments.
- Hands-on experience with customer facing flows and applications (ITILv3 knowledge is a plus).
- Experience in Windows Client and Server OS, MAC OS, Linux Client OS (Red Hat derivatives).
- Experience with activities for business-critical systems.
Skills and knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise class server hardware.
- Understanding and appreciation for process and documentation outside of the technical aspects.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in implementing, providing on-going support and maintenance for storage server environments.
- Knowledge in clustering and horizontal scaling.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills.
- Great communication, presentation, and writing skills.
- Knowledge of SAN/storage.
- Strong knowledge of Active Directory and Windows server administration.
- Knowledgeable of Virtual environments including KVM, Proxmox, Virtual Box.
- Knowledge of managing and exporting Virtual Machines to other environments.
- Good knowledge of generic application technologies such as DNS, SMTP, SNMP, SAMBA, SFTP.
- Competitive salary & commission/bonus structure.
- Up to 25 days vacation + public holidays.
- Company pension scheme.
- Flexible working.
This is a full-time position. You will be expected to work 40 hours per week and our core business hours are UK 09:00am – 5:30pm Monday to Friday. However, as occasional travel is essential, flexible business hours will take into account hours away from base. There is also a requirement to provide out of hours support on a weekly rota basis.
If you are interested in these vacancies, please send your CV and covering letter explaining your experience relevant for the role to email@example.com. Interviews will be held in our Cardiff office at a mutually convenient date and time.
About Object Matrix
Object Matrix provides digital content governance and object storage platforms. The company was built on the philosophy that archive systems should be scalable and interoperable, as well as ensuring instant access to data and metadata. Its flagship product, MatrixStore, is an integrated object storage software solution providing protection and governance for the lifetime of any digital content. It’s used by global organisations that create, curate, and distribute video content, including NBC Universal, TV Globo, the BBC and BT.
Object Matrix is comprised of a team of storage industry experts with a shared vision for high levels of data security combined with intuitive user interfaces. In addition to providing solutions and product integrations for the storage, search and retrieval of media assets, Object Matrix also provides consultancy, training, systems integration, and ongoing support services.