Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past few weeks, you’ll probably have heard that Cardiff will play host to the UEFA Champions League Final this weekend. Being based in Cardiff ourselves there is a buzz in the air of the city!
Understandably, some businesses are concerned about the disruption caused by such a large event, especially in terms of travelling to and from work or getting deliveries. But from our perspective, we’re pretty chuffed to see such an event on our doorstep, boosting the local economy as well as Cardiff’s profile as a great Welsh city.
As an organisation working within the media and entertainment industry, what we’re most excited about is the fact that much of the Sport TV world will soon be descending on our home city, to manage, monitor and broadcast one of the most popular sporting events on the globe.
Here are some stats for the game:
- It is predicted to be the most watched sporting event in the world this year
- An estimated global TV audience of 400 million in over 200 territories watched the previous final; 180m of those live. However, that final was down from 2012-13 which had a drawing 360 million television viewers
- Some 28 million people had 76 million Facebook interactions related to the previous final – that’s expected to go up!
- On twitter, there were almost 2 million mentions of #UCLfinal
- Previous winners:
- Spain 13 winners
- Italy 12 winners
- England 12 winners
- Germany 6 winners
- Nottingham Forest has won the cup more times than they have won their own domestic league!
(Sources www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League)