Sumners Post Production, based in Manchester, have been an Object Matrix customer since 2010 when they bought a 33 terabyte MatrixStore nearline cluster to protect tapeless content in their Avid workflows. Since that time their cluster has grown twice with more capacity being delivered this week taking them to over 90 terabytes.
The document below is a case study showing how the solution has solved a problem facing many post production facilities, namely how to protect file based rushes and share them amongst multiple edit clients:
The transition to file based acquisition has proved a significant challenge to all post houses who specialise in managing long form television and film projects. To preserve cost effective workflows for clients Sumners required a lower cost nearline solution that would integrate with the Avid based editorial storage tier. The nearline requirement had to be robust and secure as it would be the main repository for clients original camera rushes. Sumners also needed a solution which could start small and scale on demand are their requirements grew.
Several BBC projects require similar solution/workflow – one such is ‘Permission Impossible’ which is an observational documentary being shot on Canon 305 and Sony XDCAM.
- Estimated rushes = 1200 hours
- Rushes need to be verify copied onto secure store
- Secure Store then referenced to create Avid proxy/offline copies onto ISIS
- Avid AMA ‘conform’ for finishing based on reference back to orignal rushes on secure store
- Consolidate linked rushes to ISIS for finishing
- Verified copy of rushes straight into MatrixStore using the MatrixStore file system (MXFS)
- Pushing a copy of the rushes – from MatrixStore – to LTO for deep archive and client copy
- Linking from Media Composer via Avid AMA to browse content to ensure the validity of clips i.e. check for shooting/camera/video file issues
- Option to make pre-selection of material for transcoding to proxy/offline onto ISIS ( Normally everything gets transcoded)
- Multi-suite editorial from Avid ISIS shared storage
- Avid AMA ‘conform’ for finishing based on reference back to camera rushes in MatrixStore secure storage
The View From OM
Working with Brian, Roger, Paul and the team at Sumners has been fantastic, they help us to further develop MatrixStore workflows and also advise us on future directions. Looking forward to delivering the next 100 TB 😉